ಜನವರಿ 11, 2017

My Answers to some random Descriptive Question on SBI Youth for India



I have applied for a fellowship by SBI Youth for India. But fortunately and unfortunately, I didn’t qualified. Among various questions in application, one page had three questions expecting descriptive answers. Just sharing them here for a record and It will surely bring smile on my face if you read or love it. Thanks. Over to SBI YFI program.

Given below is a situation that a Youth for India fellow is likely to come across in rural India. We would like you to go through it and tell us your views regarding how you will approach the issue. Remember, there is no right or wrong answer and thinking out of the box is encouraged.

Q1: Ranjan is a SBI YFI fellow working in a remote tribal village. Gopal, a farmer in the village owns a 10 acre plot of land where he has employed 5 landless laborers to do the agricultural work. Given the remoteness of the village and the absence of other work, these labourers are fully dependent on Gopal for their livelihood. Seeing the back breaking nature of their work, Ranjan, being a mechanical engineer, has designed a harvester that can do the work of 5 people in a much shorter time and more efficiently. If you were in Ranjan’s place, would you popularise the use of the harvester? Please provide reasons for your answer.

I would definitely popularize the use of harvester which reduces the workhours of the workers. I will also convince Gopal to go for use of modern equipment as it reduces the time required for the work. Moreover, now he can grow side crops along with the annual crops. Since the place is far away from city, and workers cannot find other employments nearby, they will get some time for their own. In that free time, I would like to encourage the workers to find their passion and work on it. For this instance, I assume rajeevappa is a drama enthusiast, we will train him to say old play / film dialogues in village festivals or Jaatre. More people will be entertained and will know how did he got free time to do all these. Similarly, a painter, pottery maker, local leader etc.


Q2: How do you think you will benefit from this programme?

From childhood I wanted to be an astronaut, later I came to know, i wasn't that capable. Then I lowered my expectations to doctor, and realized MBBS wasn't my bowl of tablets. I pursued engineering, took more than 4 years to complete it, searched for job and then got one at Vijaya Bank. As of now, all I do is work, come home, write blog / watch movies / sleep. Once in a while, when I go home, we have a team called White Lanters, its lead by doctor in our group. recently we had free BMI check and diabetes education program. So, in all my free time, I want to do something for rural people. There are many SHG women who aren't even aware of how to properly fill challan and cheques. I want them to teach more than signing their name, may be write their own grocery list, probably sign their kids' report card or read her husband's will etc. I want to do that for rural people. I want to teach them how to be independent. Talking about benefit of the program, I get to fulfill my side passion and honestly saying, get some fame from it, appreciation from friends and family etc


Q3: Please narrate an incident or interaction with a person which has left an impact on you. Please also mention how it has impacted you.

I had this friend, let's name his Ram. Ram had only one goal: to study well, get a good marks and degree, clear his education loan, take care of his parents. Then he met this girl, spandana. They both fell in love instantly. After 4 long years, they decided to get married. As usual, they faced lot of problems from both the families, but they stood for each other and made it work. I came from a small taluk where love marriage in same caste is considered as insult to parents. in such scenario, he fulfilled his dream, by convincing his parents and girl's parents. Now he has a great job, loving wife and taking care of his parents. That incident left me speechless. At that time, I wanted to be like him, He taught me, no matter what happens, how many difficulties we face, we must never give up. Well started is half done, but half done thing is as useless as a not-started project. So, greatness of a achiever lies in completing his dream work, not in starting it well. That incident has impacted me too much. And it has pushed me to achieve my long term dream of becoming a author and start a NGO for rural education as side passion thing.

ಕಾಮೆಂಟ್‌ಗಳಿಲ್ಲ:

ಕಾಮೆಂಟ್‌‌ ಪೋಸ್ಟ್‌ ಮಾಡಿ